Thursday, April 30, 2009

Same great taste!

I made something new for dinner tonight. I call it Cheeseburger Casserole. I didn't have any ground beef, only turkey and I haven't really liked the way the turkey burgers come out so I thought I'd try something creative. I started by taking enough hamburger buns (tops separate from bottoms) to cover the bottom of a casserole dish. I thinly spread some mayo on the buns then broiled them in the oven until they were toasted. Meanwhile I browned the ground turkey then added cut up potatoes (in place of fries) and chopped onions. I added some all purpose seasoning to it all and when the veggies were cooked, added a can of tomato sauce, about 3/4 cup of ketchup, a couple squirts of mustard and stirred it all together. It was thicker than I wanted so I just added a little water. Then I topped the buns with the meat and sauce and topped all that with cheese. I baked it for 15 min. at 375 degrees and served it with a big green salad. The kids loved it and said, "Hey, this tastes like hamburgers." I liked it because it was actually healthier than hamburgers and fries, used less buns, and tasted better than turkey burgers. I call that another culinary success!

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Yumm, I'll have to try this one.