Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Busy Day for Old Bluebell

Our 16 year old Suburban, named Bluebell for the cow-like sound it makes when the ABS kicks in, has seen some action in it's life. This car's favorite thing to do is to take long road trips, filled to the brim with family, animals, and luggage. Although we did not go on a road trip today, Bluebell performed grandly in the face of 12 different passengers. See if you can follow me on this mathematical adventure. The day began when I loaded up the kids into the car (1 adult + 4 kids + 3 car seats = 5 passengers and 3 carseats). Then we picked up a friend and the one year old she babysits (+1 adult + 1 child + 1 carseat = 7 passengers and 4 carseats). Then we dropped Jared and Clarissa off for piano (- 2 children = 5 passengers and 4 carseats). Next, the remaining crew went to the library for storytime (- 2 adults -3 children = 0 passengers and 4 (empty) carseats). After storytime, Krystal and I went to pick up Jared and Clarissa from piano, leaving the others at the library (+1 adult +1 child = 2 passengers and 4 carseats). We picked the kids up from piano (+ 2 children = 4 passengers and 4 carseats). We drove one street over to drop off Clarissa and Krystal for writing workshop, threw two carseats in the back to make room and picked up four more children to take them to writing workshop for the older children (-2 children + 4 children - 2 carseats = 6 passengers and 2 (empty) carseats). After dropping off all the children for workshop, I drove back to the library (- 5 children = 1 passenger and 2 (empty) carseats). I picked up my friend, the boy she babysits, and Amber (+1 adult, +2 children = 4 passengers and 2 carseats), then dropped my friend and the boy off at his house (-1 adult -1 child -1 carseat = 2 passengers and 1 carseat). Amber and I then ran errands until it was time to pick up kids from workshop, the older kids first (+5 children = 7 passengers and 1 carseat). Then, we dropped off four of the children at the younger kid's workshop and picked up Clarissa and Krystal who had to re-install their carseats and (-4 children + 2 children + 2 carseats = 5 passengers and three carseats). Next, we drove one street over to pick up Connor and Jared who were dropping off Delaney for piano (+2 children = 7 passengers and 3 carseats). Then, we crossed the street and got out of the car to go walk on a trail while we waited for Delaney to finish piano (-1 adult - 6 children = 0 passengers and 3 (empty) carseats). Once our walk was through, we got back into the car (+1 adult + 6 children = 7 passengers and 3 carseats). Then, we picked Delaney up from piano (+1 child = 8 passengers and 3 carseats). Finally, 6 hours later, we drove back to my house and unloaded the Suburban (-1 adult -7 children -3 piano books -3 grandparents day cards made at workshop -1 bin of legos -20 or so library books -1 bag of chips -2 pair of shoes = 0 passengers, 3 empty carseats, and a crust of bread from someone's pb&j sandwhich). Whew! What a day.
But, the best part is that the kitchen fairy came while we were gone (probably on his lunch break) and cleaned the kitchen (which still had dirty dishes from the night before) and dinner was already cooking in the crockpot (that one was a result of my own genius) so that's why I had time to sit down and write this post, which is a good thing because I know by tonight I wouldn't have remembered it all.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I think we saw you en route in Radford. I love my crock pot too.

Jo said...

All I can say is, That's Awesome! I loved your bluebell story. You are an amazing woman to coordinate all of that.

Amber Walker said...

Wow! I'm tired reading your post!

Nicki said...

Too funny! I can't believe you could do all that math.

Sarah said...

You are amazing!

Vicki said...

What a crazy day....but I sure did appreciate all the help!!

Tracy said...

awesome post, all the numbers made my head swim, but thnaks so much for the fun day!!

Geometer-Mom said...

I got lost with the numbers but know that at least one of the children with car seat was mine! Thanks for driving that day.