Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A lesson in economics or just a little fun?

Chris and I have never done much decorating for Halloween, something about spending money that could be used for food to make our house look creepy just didn't gel. However, this year the kids (mainly Clarissa) have been asking when we are going to decorate like everyone else. She'd been telling all my friends that we hadn't put our decorations up yet (I didn't tell her that we didn't have any). So...we dug around in the basement and came up with a few rubber bats and spiders left over from past trunk 0r treats, some string, an old pillowcase, some rubber stamps and yes, even toilet paper and voila! Our toilet paper spider web, you can't really see it, but there are little spiderlings (plastic rings) crawling on the web. How did I get the toilet paper to stay up you ask...I didn't, two days later our living room looks like a group of teenagers visited during a slumber party. On the bright side, it's kept the cat entertained for hours.
Jared is very proud of his ghost, he wanted it to be the first thing people saw when they came to our house. And everyone helped stamp, cut, color, and glue the sign. On a side note, we thought it would make the house look spookier if we stripped the paint off the door jamb and never painted it. Just kidding, just another home improvement project not yet finished.
Clarissa was so excited to make fall leaves, until I gave her the pattern of an oak leaf to cut out (lots of curves). She made her own leaf shapes and even gave them scary faces.
I made Jared pose for this pic, but he wasn't feeling well, a couple hours later he had a fever. Oh well, in the end it was a fun morning and hopefully the kids will have a happy memory. Me, I'm feeling like a good mom because I didn't give the "buying Halloween decorations would be a waste of money" lecture, thus crushing my children's hopes and dreams AND I didn't have to spend any money or leave the house.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Way to be cheap! A woman after my own heart:)

Jo said...

Looks Great! Clarissa looks like a teenager in that picture